In 1937 Sergio Allegretti began a coal and ice company, which eventually evolved into Bayside Fuel Oil Corp. (“Retail”), a distributor of heating oil. In the years that followed, his two sons, Victor and Alfred joined him in the business. In 1965, the family incorporated Bayside Fuel Oil Depot Corporation (“Depot” as a wholesale terminal operator and purchased its first oil terminal on the Gowanus Canal at Sackett Street. Upon the passing of the elder Mr. Allegretti, Victor assumed responsibility for the retail operations while Alfred ran the wholesale operations. In 1984, Depot acquired its second terminal at Shore Parkway and moved its Corporate Headquarters there. In 1996, Depot acquired its Smith Street and Grand Street terminals and in 1997 added the North 12th Street location.
During the 1970’s the third generation, Victors’ sons Sergio and Bartolo and Alfred’s son Vincent, joined the family business. The combined businesses experienced such tremendous growth that it was at one time marked the 129th largest privately held business by Crain’s New York Magazine.
Today, Bayside Fuel Oil Depot wholesales products to the five Boroughs and Long Island from its own three terminals as well as from four other outside locations.